For me this charge controller is part of a bigger project, but since it should work fine as a stand-alone solution I thought I'd put it here for the world to see and use.
I will be using the 8-pin 8-bit ATtiny84 for this design.
This charge controller aims to do the following:
- use battery voltage sensing to detect whether the charging circuit should be activated or not.
- use a fixed charge current in combination with an LM317 to regulate charge current
- set final charge voltage using a trimpot
- enter sleep mode on the microcontroller to save power when the battery is charged.
- signal charge state with an LED
- use a boost converter to allow charging from low input voltages (e.g. 5V from a USB port).
The first version of the charge controller schematic:
The next step will be to work out the following feature:
- minimise current draw when not charging (hopefully less than a few uA's)
(to be continued..)